FRIENDS OF THE ABBEY
Over the past decade St Catherine’s Chapel (Lydiate Abbey) has deteriorated, trees growing out of the mortar, and loose and missing stone work. If action is not taken soon, we will lose this precious part of Lydiate’s heritage.
We have formed a group to put pressure on those responsible for the Chapel, to take action to help save and preserve our heritage.
Aims and Objectives
1. Name ‘Friends of The Abbey (St Catherine’s Chapel).
2. To ensure the conservation and maintenance of the Chapel grounds and building by those bodies responsible for the upkeep.
3. To encourage and support suitable events, eg, Annual Service, Ecumenical Services at Easter, Outdoor Shakespeare, Recitals, Village Picnic, Plays, Carol Concerts, Last Night at The Proms.
4. To provide history talks, guided walks and presentations to schools, uniform organisations, other groups.
5. To encourage visitors, consider web page and/ or attach to Parish Council or Our Lady’s web pages.
6. To organise fund raising events.
It was also agreed that the following would be considered:-
1. Regular three monthly meetings with visits to the Chapel.
2. Membership of ‘FRIENDS OF THE ABBEY’ would be by annual subscription of £5, to include metal lapel badge showing the Lydiate logo.
3. Fund raising, to help fund events at The Chapel, this would include Quiz Nights, Hot Pot Suppers, Bingo/ Whist and Beetle Drives.
4. Encourage more ‘FRIENDS OF THE ABBEY’
5. Learn the history of the Chapel and Lydiate Hall
If you would like to become a ‘FRIEND OF THE ABBEY’ contact: firstname.lastname@example.org giving your name and email address.
Regular newsletters will be sent updating ‘friends’ on fund raising activities, and bids for heritage lottery funding.