Parish Council Elections
Local elections are due to take place on 2nd May 2019 for all 9 parish council seats in Lydiate Parish Council. Would you like to play a roll in your local Parish Council?
How to Stand as a Candidate
You can stand to be a candidate if you:
- British or a citizen of the Commonwealth or European Union
- At least 18 years old
- Registered to vote in the area or have lived, worked or owned property there for at least 12 months before an election
You can’t be a councillor if you:
- Work for the council you want to be a councillor for, or for another local authority in a political restricted post
- Are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order
- Have been sentenced to prison for three months or more (including suspended sentences) during the 5 years before election day
- Have been convicted of a corrupt or illegal practice by an election court
If you are in any doubt about whether you are eligible to stand as a councillor, you should contact the electoral services department at your local council for advice.
For more information on ‘How to be a Councillor’ follow the links below;